Eco-friendly cleaning with the power of light
Photo-what? you might ask when you hear the word for the first time. But it is quite simple: photo-catalysis, a chemical reaction of light on a catalyst. In the course of this reaction, oxygen radicals are formed which safely destroy organic particles without leaving any residue. For some years now, this effective and environmentally friendly cleaning technology has increasingly been the focus of science and practice. The renowned German Fraunhofer Institute for Surface Engineering and Thin Films IST in Braunschweig, for example, has been researching for some time how facades, roofs and roads can clean themselves with the aid of photocatalytic coatings and help to sustainably reduce air pollutants.
Photocatalysis safely destroys viruses and bacteria
In South Korea, research institutes and technology companies have been working on photocatalytic air purification for several years. This is why the AiroDoctorⓇ was already ready even before the outbreak of the Corona pandemic. The special feature of this quadruple filter: the AiroDoctor uses a highly effective and now patented photocatalysis technology for sustainable and hazard-free air purification.
The first three filter steps are at first similar to those of conventional air purifiers: large and smallest particles are filtered out of the room air via pre-filters, activated carbon and HEPA filters. In the fourth step, photocatalysis takes place: Here, UV-A light from highly powerful LED modules meets 250g of solid titanium dioxide. This process results in the chemical reaction already described, in which viruses such as SARS-CoV-2 + variants, bacteria, allergens and harmful gases are decomposed and thus neutralized.
Weak spots of conventional air filters and air purifiers
By using photocatalysis, AiroDoctor closes safety gaps that are inherent in conventional air filters. Take HEPA filters, for example: the filtered particles accumulate in the filter mats of the devices and can remain active, i.e. infectious, here for quite some time. This turns into a hazard - at the latest when the filter is changed. Another problem are certain degradation products of bacteria, so-called endotoxins.These are formed inside the devices, but can no longer be retained by the HEPA filters, enter the room air and can ultimately cause serious damage to health. Many air filters, ionizers and UV-C air purifiers additionally emit the irritant gas ozone as a by-product that is harmful to health.
Special features of the AiroDoctor
- High-power UV-A LEDs generate an optimal wavelength of 385nm needed for photocatalysis (a wavelength that a normal UV-A lamp cannot reach with sufficient consistency).
- The powerful LEDs have a lifetime of at least 50,000 hours.
- The catalyst made of 250g solid titanium dioxide is arranged in a spherical shape, so that the air passed along is kept as long as possible in contact with the material and thus in the photocatalysis process.
- Titanium dioxide as solid material has a maximum wear resistance, no microparticles can chip off.
- No harmful ozone is produced during photocatalysis with UV-A light, the filter can be changed easily and safely.